"Focus is crew-cial," rower tells students

Emily Blagden talks to BCoT Sports & Public Services students.

Rowing legend and Guinness World Record holder, Emily Blagden, had BCoT Sport and Public Services students pulling together at a motivational talk arranged by BCoT sports lecturers last week.

Emily and her crew of three other women took part in the Great Pacific Race 2014 - rowing across the Pacific. The physical and mental challenge of rowing the 2,400 mile was made more difficult by the dangerous currents, a hurricane and a tropical storm – the boat even started to break about 40 days in and so the team had to do emergency maintenance and repair on the journey.

During her talk, Emily spoke to students about the importance of focusing on life goals: “Think about where you want to be and how you’re going to get there,” was the message. During students’ questions, Emily explained: “Beforehand, I never thought I could do something quite so challenging – now I know I can, and am looking ahead to what I can do next.”

BCoT Sports lecturers Jamie Dockree and Darryl Taphouse arranged Emily’s visit to help students think about their own goals now and in the future. It’s part of BCoT’s aim to connect students to inspiring and real-world experts to motivate and teach them.  “At college we do everything we can to give learners with the skills and qualifications they need to go onto university or work. But confidence and self-belief has to come from within – our job is to nurture this and encourage young people that they can succeed,” said Taphouse.

Share this post
Basingstoke College of Technology | Designed by Oyster