Discover our experienced staff, industry-standard facilities and wide range of courses!
Home | Health and Social Care | MDFL047
This qualification is a Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention & Control of Infection in Health Care Settings. It requires 70 guided learning hours.
It aims to:
• familiarise you with infection control legislation and policies;
• develop your understanding of the causes of infections, the conditions in which
they thrive and the ways that they can be spread;
• teach you about the methods of cleaning and waste disposal that help prevent the spread of infection; and
• introduce you to the hand washing techniques and personal protective equipment you should use to help prevent the spread of infection.
This qualification can help you to prepare for employment in a health or care-related area or, if you are already employed, can contribute to your continuous professional development (CPD).
This qualification is suitable for learners of any age.
This qualification consists of three mandatory units, which you must complete to gain the full qualification (individual Unit certificates may be available):
• Unit 01 The principles of infection prevention and control
This will introduce you to policies in relation to infection control, employer and employee responsibilities and how procedures and risk assessment can help minimise the risk of an outbreak of infection. We will start to think about the correct use PPE and the importance of good personal hygiene.
• Unit 02 Causes and spread of infection
This unit looks at the causes of infection and the different types of infection caused by different organisms. You will understand the methods of transmission, the conditions needed for organisms to grow and the ways infections could enter the body.
• Unit 03 Cleaning, decontamination and waste management
You will learn how to maintain a clean environment in accordance with policies, understand the procedures to follow to decontaminate an area and understand good practice when dealing with waste materials.
There are no formal entry requirements but we will meet with you before the course starts to ensure this is the right course for you.
There are no exams for this qualification. Your learning and achievement will be assessed through coursework and a portfolio of assignments.
Grades are not awarded.
If you achieve this qualification you could progress to further qualifications at Levels 2 or 3 in a related subject area, including Apprenticeships.
Full time applications are open for 2018/19