BCoT student selected to represent Great Britain

Sports student Caius Joseph to compete at international event in Madrid

A student from Basingstoke College of Technology (BCoT) has been selected to represent Great Britain in Heptathlon at the Indoor Combined Events International in Madrid this weekend (27th/28th January).

Caius Joseph, currently studying a Level 3 BTEC in Sports and Exercise Science, started his athletics career when he was 15 years old, following in the footsteps of his father and trainer who also represented Great Britain in international athletics.

After claiming first place at the England Indoor Combined Events Championships in Sheffield earlier this month, Caius described it as “a really good achievement. I secured a few personal bests and was really relieved that the hard work I had put in paid off.”

Caius has praised his tutors at the College for ensuring he is able to train and compete alongside studying his BTEC full-time, saying that his studies have helped him prepare for his national competitions:

“Jamie [Dockree, Course Director for Sport] has been really kind to allow me time off to travel to Madrid. He’s always encouraged me and made sure I am able to balance my workload alongside my training. Studying topics like sports psychology have shown me how my mind-set can affect my performance on the big day.”

Caius is hoping that success in Madrid will lead him to the World Junior Finals in Finland in July. Everyone at BCoT would like to wish Caius the best of luck ahead of the international competition this weekend.

Learn more about sports courses at Basingstoke College of Technology and to keep up to date with how Caius’ performs this weekend, you can follow our social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

Share this post
Basingstoke College of Technology I 2018