BCoT teacher named Basingstoke ‘Inspirational Teacher of the Year’

Lynsey Spillane wins award at the 2018 Place to be Proud awards.

Lynsey Spillane, Course Director for Specialist Provision at Basingstoke College of Technology (BCoT), was named the ‘Inspirational Teacher of the Year’ at the 2018 Basingstoke Place to be Proud Awards, at a ceremony on Wednesday night (6 June).

Organised by Destination Basingstoke, the Place to be Proud awards recognise and celebrate the contributions made by individuals and organisations across Basingstoke and Deane. Lynsey, who is responsible for BCoT’s Specialist Provision department, was recognised for her hard work, dedication, and commitment to improving the lives of her students.

Speaking to The Breeze Basingstoke about the award, Lynsey said: “I am absolutely overwhelmed. I actually can’t believe it. I am really proud, especially for the College and the students. I love my job and I love what I do. It is nice to be recognised not just for me but for the whole team as well. Seeing young people who don’t have the same chances as everyone else be able to grow and develop and move forward and achieve something and be proud of themselves is just phenomenal.”

Anthony Bravo, Principal of BCoT, said of Lynsey: “I would like to congratulate Lynsey on this fantastic and well-deserved award. Lynsey’s tireless dedication and continuous commitment has improved the lives of so many young people across Basingstoke, with many of her students going onto full-time study, an Apprenticeship or into employment. As a college, we feel extremely proud and privileged to have Lynsey as part of our excellent teaching staff.”

BCoT’s Specialist Provision department is committed to providing tailored programmes for students who would benefit from a unique, specialist curriculum. Students develop academic, emotional, social, life and employability skills which prepare them for the future, through small, supportive classes and one to one support. For more information, discover our Specialist Provision courses today.

Lynsey was not the only BCoT member of staff nominated for an award at the Place to be Proud awards. Rachel Pleydell-Brown, a Work Experience Co-ordinator at BCoT, was nominated in two categories for her creation of Basingstones, which encourages young people to paint stones and pebbles and hide them around the borough for children and families to discover and share with an ever-growing community.

Share this post
Basingstoke College of Technology I 2018