Results Day success for BCoT GCSE students

GCSE students at BCoT have been celebrating a successful end to the academic year.

Despite the challenges of Covid-19 this year, students from Basingstoke College of Technology (BCoT) have done better than ever before. GCSE students were celebrating a successful end to the academic year, as they received their long-awaited GCSE English and maths results on Thursday 20 August.

The College achieved a 36.5% pass rate for GCSE English, up by 10.4% on the previous year, as well as a 38.2% pass rate for GCSE maths, which has increased by 6.2%.

Among those students who passed the course was James O’Neil, aged 81, who achieved an impressive grade 8 in his GCSE English. Growing up, James was educated in the Republic of Ireland where lessons were conducted in Gaelic, and so, he explained his education suffered as a result.

James said: “The more I got into the subject at BCoT, the more I became mesmerised by it and I would like to develop as much as I can. I think I could even go on to write a story!”

Fellow student, Eve Messenger, has also successfully passed her GCSE English, after a few previous attempts, alongside studying her BTEC course at the College. Having secured an unconditional place to study Post Production in Film & TV at Solent University, Eve said: “I’m really excited to be going to university after achieving the grades I needed. I’ve loved my time at BCoT and will miss all my friends and amazing lecturers who taught me so much.”

Anthony Bravo, Principal of BCoT, said: “I would like to congratulate all of our students who have achieved the grade they desired in what has been an incredibly challenging year for them, given the difficult circumstances. I would also like to acknowledge our dedicated English and maths lecturers, who have adopted the latest digital and educational technology to ensure all of our students receive a personalised learning experience, that equips our students with the skills and confidence they need to succeed.”

As well as offering a wide range of hands-on vocational courses, BCoT gives students the opportunity to re-sit GCSE English and maths if they have not achieved a minimum of a grade 4 previously at school.
In recent years, the college has implemented the use of an artificial intelligence-powered tool, CENTURY Tech, which identifies patterns and gaps in each individual student’s knowledge to give them a unique, personalised learning experience, focused on their strengths and weaknesses.

The College also offers the two courses on a part-time basis, with daytime and evening courses available to any mature students who require a GCSE in either English or maths.
The academic year is due to begin next month and it is not too late to apply to study at BCoT this September.

BCoT Logo

Tel: 01256 354141

Basingstoke College of Technology
Worting Road
Basingstoke
Hampshire
RG21 8TN

© 2023 Basingstoke College of Technology, Worting Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 8TN.