In remembrance of Sheila Stockwell

On Friday 18 June 2021, Sheila Stockwell, our Art & Design 3D technician, sadly passed away.

Principal, Anthony Bravo said: "On 18 June, we received the sad news that Sheila Stockwell lost her brave, strong fight against cancer.  She had been a valued, brilliant and positive member of staff at BCoT since October 1991 and I know many of our staff and students will remember her fondly.  Our thoughts are with her family and friends."

Vikki Soanes, Course Director for Education and Training, said: "On 18 June, I lost a dear friend and colleague to cancer.  Her final days were spent under the care of the fabulous team of palliative nurses at St Michael's Hospice in Basingstoke.  We are truly blessed to have such fantastic facilities in our town. To help raise money for the hospice I am shaving my hair off on 21 July at BCoT in the Barber shop.  Sheila always asked me to shave her head after chemo as when it started falling out "it was distressing and unhygienic" as she'd say. My ginger hair is who I am and it's the longest it's ever been.  I laughed with Sheila about the time I had an accidental ginger skinhead when I was 18, an image that was immortalised on my passport for a decade. It wasn't pretty but then neither is cancer.  My hair is long enough to donate for a wig to The Little Princess Trust as well as the head shave, so many people will benefit from this.  St Michael's gave Sheila the best care, in both the hospice and at home, for the last months of her life. I know times are hard but if you can spare a couple of quid it will help another family and their friends share those precious moments."

Vikki has started a fundraiser and will be shaving her head at BCoT on Wednesday 21 July to raise money for St. Michael's Hospice (North Hampshire) as they provided Sheila wonderful end of life care. 

To make a donation, please visit her JustGiving page here.

Should any students need support or wish to speak confidentially with a counsellor, please contact your RAP tutor.

BCoT Logo

Tel: 01256 354141

Basingstoke College of Technology
Worting Road
Basingstoke
Hampshire
RG21 8TN

© 2023 Basingstoke College of Technology, Worting Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 8TN.