Level 4 Therapeutic Counselling CPCAB Diploma
This two year Counselling Practitioner course is intended for those who want to train as professional Counsellors in an agency setting. Successful completion will enable learners to provide a therapeutic counselling service within an agency framework and also progress to independent practice after further training and/or practice.
On completion candidates will:
- Acquire a comprehensive ability in both Counselling skills and theory
- Be able to apply their comprehensive knowledge of theory to Counselling skills practice
- Pursue further career development in their own professional field
- Achieve a Level 4 Qualification in counselling
Counselling skills learnt at Level 3 will be further developed including: self-awareness, knowledge and understanding of the skills necessary for further training at Level 5.
Units covered include:
- The reflective practitioner
- Therapeutic practice
Deeper understanding of the Integrative Model using the Clarkson Five Relational Model. Theories will include Person Centred, Psychodynamic, Existential, and TA Transactional Analysis
During the course students will be required to:
- Attend clinical supervision on a monthly basis for at least 1½ hours as recommended good practice by the BACP
- Undertake personal therapy - attending a minimum of 60 one-hour counselling sessions
- Counselling (60 hrs over two years) between £35.00 and £50.00 per session
- BACP Registration between £40 and £80 per year
- Public Liability Between £30.00 and £80.00 per year
- Supervision (if not provided within the agency) between £50 and £80 per hour
How will I be assessed?
All candidates will need to submit two references, complete a pre-interview task and attend an interview in order to be accepted onto the course.
What previous qualifications and experience will I need?
Applicants need to meet the following criteria to qualify for an offer on the course:
- To have completed Level 2 and 3 certificates in Counselling Studies & Skills or the equivalent**.
- To commit to attend personal therapy with an approved therapist throughout the course amounting to 60 hours
- Identify reasons for training beyond just personal development.
- Academically & emotionally able to cope with this level of training*.
- Ability to work with difference and diversity.
- Possess personal qualities, imagination, intuition, openness and ability to benefit from self-development.
- Ability to form and maintain a therapeutic relationship.
- Have self-awareness, insight, honesty and the ability to make links with own personal dynamics.
- Emotional stability and the absence of personality disturbance*.
- Ability to challenge and be challenged.
- Ability to respond sensitively and empathically to others.
- Provide references and attend the selection interview.
*Disclaimer – Please note that if an applicant has experienced a significant life event in the last 6 months i.e. Bereavement or recovery from a mental health issue, the college has the right to refuse the application and will recommend deferring due to the demands of the course.
** This training must be from a recognised counselling training provider: recognised by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or UK Counsel for Psychotherapy (UKCP). You will need to evidence that you have undertaken skills practice and personal development within this certification / qualification.
While a qualification in nursing, social work, psychology or similar will support your learning and understanding of some of the theories studied in counselling they will not have given you the adequate client / helpee contact nor developed your self awareness / personal development. You may have undertaken one to one work with clients, however, the nature of the counselling relationship is very different.
Exceptions: We DO NOT accept certificates from on-line / distant learning suppliers.
Where does this course lead to
Progression onto Level 5 Counselling qualification
Potential employment as a counsellor within an agency
How to Enrol
To enrol on this course, please email email@example.com with the course you are interested in to arrange an interview with the course tutor and/or Course Director. Following a successful interview, you will then be provided with an enrolment code in order to complete your enrolment online.
The loan available for this course is only for £4,670 so doesn't cover the whole fee. Additional payment to the college will be required if you choose to take out the loan.