GCSE pass rate success at BCoT

The College has achieved an overall pass rate of 97.4% for GCSE English and 98.2% for GCSE Maths.

Despite the nationwide disruption of the global pandemic over the past year, GCSE English and Maths students at Basingstoke College of Technology (BCoT) are celebrating their results and a very successful end to the academic year.

The College has achieved an overall pass rate of 97.4% for GCSE English with 34.7% passing with a Grade 4 or above, and an overall pass rate of 98.2% for GCSE Maths with 30.4% passing with a Grade 4 or above.

Among the students who passed was GCSE English student, Julie Mylum, who has achieved a grade 5 after working incredibly hard through lockdown with her new classmate, Laura Jones, to ensure they passed. Both students made a pact to support each other in passing the course, so in the evenings and weekends they would FaceTime to work through tasks together where they were able to fill in the gaps of each other’s knowledge.

Julie said: “Laura and I are both over the moon to have passed! The course at BCoT has really helped me to believe in myself and build my confidence. It has been an especially challenging year but the tutors and Laura have been so understanding and supportive. I would say to anyone considering the same course to not shy away.”

Another student success includes Level 2 IT and GCSE English student, Grigore Ciobrase, who achieved a fantastic Distinction and a grade 6 in his GCSE today. Originally from Romania, Grigore needed to complete his first ever GCSE in order to progress on to the Level 3 IT course this September. Passing with flying colours, he has massively improved his understanding of the English language since moving to the UK in 2019.

Grigore said: “I am super happy with my results and knowing that I can now continue my course in September. I felt comfortable studying the GCSE course at BCoT after my positive experience on my IT course. I always had someone to ask questions to and I was offered plenty of support including regular 1-1s.”

Alexis Smith, Assistant Principal of Foundation Learning and Student Voice, said: “Huge congratulations to all our GCSE and Level 2 students today on receiving their results. No matter the grade, you should all be extremely proud of yourselves and what you’ve achieved in these challenging times. I hope you are all celebrating and we look forward to seeing you in September. For those who are not returning, we wish you the very best of luck in the future.”

For further information on studying a vocational course or GSCE English and Maths at BCoT, and to apply for September 2021, go to bcot.ac.uk

BCoT Logo

Tel: 01256 354141

Basingstoke College of Technology
Worting Road
Basingstoke
Hampshire
RG21 8TN

© 2023 Basingstoke College of Technology, Worting Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 8TN.