Access to Higher Education Medicine and Medical Science Diploma
This course has a strong emphasis on both biology and chemistry and learners will have the opportunity to study both equally to give a balanced view of skills to enable progression to medicine-based degree programmes.
The course has been designed to provide entry to University and is worth 21 credits in Biology, 15 credits in Chemistry and 9 credits in clinical skills. At the end of the course, you will have 45 credits which are graded and 15 credits which are ungraded study skills. The course is suitable for mature students who have been out of full-time education for at least one year and do not have the relevant qualifications for entry to higher education.
As part of your learning, resources and assignments will be uploaded to Google Classrooms for you to use.
- Cell Biology
- Nutrition and Digestion
- Blood, Circulation and Gaseous Exchange for Healthcare
- Diseases and body defence
- Evolution and Ecology
- Reproductive Biology for healthcare
- Musculoskeletal System
- Drugs and Food Additives
- Structure and Bonding
- Fundamentals of Chemistry
- Separation and Analysis
- Periodic Table, Ionisation Energies and Redox
- Clinical Skills
- Understanding the Patient Journey
- Research Project
- General Maths
- Practical Science skills
- Reviewing and planning for future
- Giving a presentation to the Audience
- You need to be aged 19+ from the beginning of September.
- GCSE English and maths at grade C/4 or above (or equivalent)
If you do not have either English or maths you can complete this in addition to the Access course.
This course is assessed in a variety of ways with assignments including presentations, discussions, tests, projects, practical work, problem-solving exercises, essays, scientific reports, diagrams and interviews.
Where does this course lead to
This course can lead on to a range of University degree courses, for example:
- BSc Biomedicine
- BSc Diagnostic or Therapeutic Radiography
- BSc Biological Sciences
- BSc (Hons) Paramedic Practitioner
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy
- BSc Health Sciences
- BM BCh Medicine