Level 3 Senior Healthcare Support Worker Apprenticeship
This Clinical Healthcare Support Apprenticeship provides the skills and knowledge needed to support doctors, nurses, allied health professionals and healthcare scientists in diagnosing, treating and caring for patients. The apprentice will have additional responsibilities such as supervising junior teams members, taking physiological measurements and carrying out more complex clinical procedures e.g. wound care and should be working with minimal supervision
The apprentice could be working in a variety of settings:
- Hospital departments
- Community clinics or health centres
- Care homes
- Patients homes
The apprenticeship consists of:
- A Level 3 Diploma in Healthcare Support
- The Care Certificate
- Level 2 English and Maths Functional Skills
- The apprentice will be expected to be working in a healthcare setting with at least 6 months of experience and be able to supply an enhanced disclosure and barring and provide the result prior to starting.
- GCSEs at grade C/4 (or equivalent) in English and maths will need to be evidenced during the initial assessment.
- Successful completion of care certificate.
The diploma element is completed by production of evidence from the apprentice demonstrating understanding and competence in their practice. Methods of evidence include:
- Direct observation by the assessor
- Reflective accounts
- Professional discussions with the assessor
- Examples of work products
- Written knowledge
There will also be an End Point Assessment (EPA) which will include
- A situational judgement test which will include a range of real-life scenarios about which the learner will have to answer questions in a multiple choice format (60 questions). The assessment will normally be undertaken online, under controlled conditions with a time limit applied.
- A professional discussion, which will be undertaken with an independent assessor. The discussion will be of no more than 45 minutes duration.
- An observation by the end point assessor
Where does this course lead to
Completion of the apprenticeship will enable the learner to apply for further education including the Foundation Degree in Nursing or a Level 4 management qualification.