Level 3 Certificate in Understanding the Principles of Dementia Care
- types of dementia and the importance of early diagnosis
- person-centred approaches in dementia care
- the role of communication, interaction and inclusion in dementia care and support the use of medication to support individuals with dementia.
This course includes seven mandatory units which you need to complete in order to gain the qualification.
- Including the most common types of dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease. Causes, effects and risk factors of dementia and understanding the importance of early diagnosis.
Unit 2: Understand how person-centred approaches are used to underpin the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Including an understanding of the importance of person-centred care for individuals with dementia. How an individual’s experience of dementia is different and how they can be supported.
Unit 3: Principles of communication and interaction in dementia care and support
- Including various ways in which individuals with dementia may communicate. Factors that could influence interactions and communication, understanding of how communication is an effective part of caring for and supporting individuals with dementia.
Unit 4: Supporting positive interaction, occupation and activity in dementia care
- Including the range and benefits of positive interactions in dementia care. The importance of promoting identity and inclusion and how individuals with dementia can engage in activities.
Unit 5: Principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care and support
- Including an understanding of the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion within the context of dementia care. How to recognise and challenge discrimination and oppressive practices.
Unit 6: Understand how to support individuals with dementia to exercise choice and rights
- Including understanding how the rights of individuals with dementia are protected, and how to support individuals with dementia to exercise choice and make decisions involving carers and others.
Unit 7: Principles of the administration of medication and well-being of individuals with dementia
- Including an understanding of the common medications that could be used for individuals with dementia and the actions to take in the event of side effects or adverse reactions.
You don’t need to have any specific prior learning requirements to take this course, but you may find it helpful if you’ve already achieved a Level 2 qualification within the Health and Social Care area.This course supports progression from Level 2 Dementia.
In order to complete this distance learning course at no charge you will need to match the following entry criteria:
- You do not already hold a Level 3 or higher qualification or equivalent*
- Are a resident of the EEU (European Economic Area) and have been for at least 3 years
- Will be undertaking your learning within England
- Are aged 19 or above
- If you are 19-23 years old you must have already achieved a level 2 qualification or equivalent
- You will need to have a good standard of English and maths
- Learners are eligible to enrol on a Level 3 National Skills Funded Course if they are employed and are considered to earn a lower income.
- Or, if they are unemployed and are in receipt of Universal Credit or Job Seekers Allowance.
- Learners who are not eligible for funding are able to access this course with an Advance Learner Loan
- To confirm eligibility please complete an application and our team will be in touch.
- Studying via Distance Learning means you can choose when and where you study.
- We recommended allowing a minimum of 4 to 5 hours per week to study this course in your own time.
- You will be given submission dates for each unit to help you stay on track and complete within the allocated timeframe.
- Paper-based learning materials with online assessments
- Full paper based
Where does this course lead to
This qualification allows you to gain in-depth knowledge and understanding of dementia to support individuals diagnosed with dementia.
How to Enrol
To find out more information please email email@example.com quoting the course reference, or to enrol now via the button below and complete an application.